Saturday, September 27, 2014

Feels Like Summer Again!

Cheese platter - after dark in the garden patio of  W.A. Frost & Co.

After my indulgent "foodie" weekend in the Twin Cities (I read that one should use that word only in a negative context, so thus I can still use it about myself), the nitty gritty of my life hit me in the face again upon my return this week.

The perfectly balmy temps of Minnesota (I swear it veered between 69-71 degrees, with lots of sunshine, the entire weekend), however, followed me back to Michigan.



And so we painted some more bricks on the front of the house.

Other jobs cried out for me: Winter is coming! Early snows could start next month!

Six new pink Knockout roses were tucked into a brand new bed at Aunt V's house.


On Thursday I met with the couple of regular volunteers at the church gardens. I was dismayed to see the blank spaces in the gardens as we cut down the dead and yellowing foliage of the lilies and phlox. I don't know if it was the cold night temps, the sprinklers being turned off for a few days or the natural course of things, but the gardens are definitely in decline. The begonias, in three sizes of pink, did not seem so happy anymore. The little fall pansies had not grown at all in two weeks time. Still, lots of color remains:


I returned to church today to water everything. It may be a month yet before we pull it all out. I will have to watch the forecasts carefully, to avoid being left with a garden of frozen mush.

There were sunny days this past week that I labored outdoors, all the while imagining how nice it might be to be a "lady" of complete leisure, sipping iced tea (probably Long Island Iced Tea) on the deck of my favorite local restaurant. Instead I was painstakingly filling the white gaps between bricks with a tiny brush.

Work is healthy, they say, but enjoying the last fleeting days of summery weather leisurely would be dreamy.

All I could manage was an after dark treat (when we were all finally free)--a couple of pints of Haagen Dazs and Kahlua (okay, and a couple of store bought cakes) to celebrate somebody's 65th.


I felt an urgency to make the most of each day of great weather, which will likely soon turn into some kind of Michigan awfulness. I sense an instinct to prepare for winter, even as I watch the squirrels bury way more snacks then they will ever be able to find. But there is no need for me (making up a verb) to harvestore (brand of silo on my childhood farm) any food! The stores are always full of everything I need.

Photo from 2011 farm visit
At this time of the year on the farm of my youth that big blue Harvestore would have been loaded with corn (silage) and/or alfalfa hay for the feeder cows, and my mother's two basement freezers and fruit cellar would have been bursting with produce.

I just defrosted the chest freezer in the garage, which the roofer men had accidentally unplugged, causing everything to thaw and refreeze in a glommy mess. A fresh start for the freezer, too, this year! The husband plans to spend big at Costco now that it is cleaned out. Maybe I could "put up" some sliced apples or something from the fall harvest.

I talked to a Florida daughter today who thinks we should hang it all up very soon, totally avoid winter and move into a Florida condo. Now that would be a real fresh start.  Does she imagine we are ready for the proverbial rocking chairs, or shuffle board!!?? Now that we've turned 65? She tells me of the constant rain there lately. What's so good about that? In my book, Florida weather in the summer might be a bad trade for Michigan weather in the winter!

My nice young neighbor across the street (always friendly--trotting across the street in heels after work, with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other) mostly moved out today. She is getting a fresh start, with a new boyfriend in the wings, too! I got first pick of her garage stuff. I agreed to buy her Husqvarna lawnmower with a wheelbarrow thrown in--for $125. Yay. The estranged husband (divorce pending and probably awaiting the house closing next week) returned today to mow for the last time. A new young couple (hope they are happy) is moving in next week. I wonder if they have a lawnmower.

And so life goes on. I leave in a few weeks for another break from my Michigan life--to Florida. Latter October is actually a great time to be in the Orlando area. But meanwhile I'd better get back to work...fall is fast fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment