![]() |
| New shingles sit atop! |
This Old House is in the process of a top to bottom makeover. Last Monday the old shingles came off and by Saturday most of the underlayment stuff was put on. I'm eager to see how the new shingles will look.
But first: we had a saggy garage. It has served us well without collapsing for over 20 years, but this week the roof was raised with the help of a big pole in a hole of cement in the garage floor.Two of the workers that did the tear-off were dubbed Chips and Salsa by the clean-cut high school teacher who is also helping. Chips came back under threat of pay withholding (I'm guessing) and did a little cleanup Saturday morning...
But, oh what a mess. It is a good thing that the area under the eaves needs new landscaping, too, because a few things got flattened.
There are scraps everywhere and some stray nails. I have been helping to pick up a bit, since Chips and Salsa apparently have a loose sense of cleaning up!
And the noise! I thought I had heard enough noise for the year a few weeks back. I escaped a few days-- including that beach day--but men were tromping about and banging on the roof all week.
Things always seem to have to get worse before they get better...
and on a better note, I did a clean sweep. I threw away all the balsamic vinegar, gourmet mustard, sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, sour cream, salad dressing, etc.--finishing just before the trash was picked up Tuesday morning. It was difficult. I had already done the freezer a few days before. I kept most of the spices in the freezer, but no expired condiments or rotten veggies remain in my new fresh fridge (and no onion allowed)!
The new fridge is working well, with a new ice maker and filter installed. The old fridge is right behind me, awaiting the rebate guys later this week. It never actually died but kept making the death rattle noises. It must be working in order to qualify for the $50.
They say you start with small things (like a clean sink), but that hasn't helped so far. Maybe this clean fridge thing will be the catalyst for the emergence of a new me...
Things are looking up. The sun is shining through--even in the garage!



can't wait to see the results of all the work you're doing!
ReplyDeleteWe'll have to have a house-warming party when you are all done!!
ReplyDeleteThe house is warm! Too warm for you, Olga. But it will be nice to not have plaster falling down from the roof leaks!
ReplyDelete